Once you have created your payroll, you may open each individual payslip to check out it's contents, as well as to add/remove any one-off amendments.
- Contents of the payslip
- Basic and deductions
- Totals column
- Adjustments, overtime & extra hours, and leave payoffs
- Editing the payslip (pending calculation button)
You need to ensure that you have the 'Manage payroll' permission.
So what are the contents of the payslip?
To open a payslip, simply click on the name of the employee in the payroll view.
Here, you will see three different tabs:
- Payslip: this includes all the details of the payslip such as gross, net amounts, tax, SSC, adjustments, etc.
- Leave taken: here, you will be able to see any leave taken within the payroll period which is attached to the payslip. If this tab includes a yellow exclamation icon then this likely means that leave was booked for an employee after the payslip was created (you will also see a warning in a yellow ribbon on top). To update the payslip, you will need to refresh it.
- Tax status and rates: this tab includes the employee's position details (start date, yearly/hourly salary, tax status, etc). This tab's main function is to avoid you having to exit the payroll and load the employee's profile whilst doing a payroll.
But I'm interesting in knowing more about the payslip tab.
Right, let's get into the all important payslip tab. This tab is divided in three sections:
- Basic & deductions;
- Totals column;
- Adjustments, overtime & extra hours, and leave payoffs.
Basic and deductions
This part is made up of the following:
- Basic hours. These include the monthly/weekly/fortnightly/4-weekly hours worked by the employee during the payroll period. Additional hours are added below this field when an employee is entitled to be paid for public holiday hours falling within that payroll period.
- Basic amount. This field is calculated by multiplying the basic hours by the employee's hourly rate.
- SSC employer and SSC employee. These two fields include the social security amounts to be paid by the employer and employee.
- Maternity fund.
- SSC Mondays. This is made up of the number of Mondays within the payroll period (and is use to determine the SSC and Maternity fund amounts. Please note that when an employee is new to payroll and doesn't have previous payroll data included in the system, that employee might have to pay an additional Monday's worth of SSC and Maternity fund.
- FSS tax. This is the tax paid by the employee on his/her income. Should the employee be on the part-time tax rates, this will be reflected accordingly. And where an employee pays overtime tax concession, this too will be added as an additional field.
- Gross. This is the sum of the employee's salary for the period prior to considering deductions.
- Advance payment. If an employee is paid some cash in advance, this would reflected here.
- Net. This is the amount that employee will receive.
- Note. Here you may add a note to the employee to view on his/her payslip.
Please note that if you want to amend any of the above, you will need to untick the auto checkbox:
Here you will see the totals of each item. For example, the hours will include public holiday and leave hours. You can also see workings for tax, ssc, and maternity fund by clicking on the tooltip button:
Adjustments, overtime & extra hours, and leave payoffs
By default, the adjustments section will be automatically populated with the government bonus in March, June, September and December, as well as any allowances set in the employee's profile. However, users may add any ad-hoc adjustments by clicking on add adjustment.
Overtime can also be added by clicking on 'Add Overtime & extra hours.
Finally, the leave payoff section is automatically populated whenever an employee is terminated and still has leave in their balance. Nevertheless, users may add a leave payoff at any time by clicking 'Add leave payoff'.
Whenever I amend a field, the payslip do not update.
You might notice that whenever you add/amend something in a payslip, a small box with the words 'pending calculation' will appear above the totals column.
Whenever this happens, you will need to click on the calculate button on the bottom right hand corner of your screen to update the payslip:
Finally, when you are done, click lock to lock the payslip. Please note that payslips may be unlocked. For information on how to publish the payslip to your employee, click here.