This article is relevant for users who have both the Payroll and the Time & Attendance module.
Talexio allows employers to decide to pay employees based on the hours clocked by an employee or based on an the hours set according to their Job Schedule. This article will explain the process of setting an employee up to be paid based on hours clocked.
The permissions required to complete the steps in this article are:
- Manage Employment Position History - This is required to be able to make changes to Employee Position Histories. This can be set at Individual, Unit or Global level.
- Manage Time and Attendance Settings - This is required to be set up the shifts and their settings. This is required to be set at Global level.
- Manage T&A Working Schedules - This is required to be generate the Working Schedule and publish shifts. This can be set at Individual, Unit or Global level.
- Approve Time Clocking - This is required to be able to approve clockings made by employees. This can be set at Individual, Unit or Global level.
- Manage Payroll - This is required for Creating payrolls and Managing the payslips of employees. This can be set at Individual, Unit or Global level.
Setting up the Employee and Time & Attendance settings
There are different settings that need to be configured for employees to be paid based on hours clocked. The below steps outline the different aspects which can be tailored to each employer and employee.
- Time & Attendance settings in the Employment Position - When Time & Attendance has been enabled for an employee, employers can choose that the system uses the approved clocked hours (Basic and/or Overtime) to automatically be included in an employee's payroll. Read more here.
- Setting up shifts and schedules - The next step is to set up your shift configuration and publish your shifts. Clockings made against published shifts can also bring with them into the approval different Shift Allowances, Lateness Penalties, etc. Read more here.
- Approving clocked hours - Once the above is set up and clockings are being linked to shifts, you will then need to approve these clockings. What is approved is what is added into the payroll of the employee. Read more here.
Now that these settings are configured and the clocked hours have been approved, we can look into the Payroll settings and what happens with these approved clocked hours on the Payslip.
Setting up the Payroll
From the creation of the payroll, to editing the payslip, there are settings and details to be aware of that will impact the inclusion of approved clocked hours in the payroll.
- Specified clocking period - On creation of payroll, there is the option to select the period of approved time logs which you would like to add to that payroll. Not selecting a time period will result in the time clockings defaulting to the payroll period.
- Clocked hours in the payslip - Any time logs approved in the clocking approval stage (see step 3 in the previous subheading), will be shown on the payslip in the Time & Attendance tab.
- Payslip Basic Hours: If the settings on the employee's position history are set to auto approve basic hours in payslip, the Basic Hours field will show as zero, since any approved hours will be shown as Special Rates as shown here. However the Basic Hours field will include any hours that the employee needs to be paid for such as Public Holidays. If approved clocked hours + leave hours + overridden payslip hours is less than the number of hours that employee should have worked during that period, the below warning will show up, highlighting that the user has missing hours in that payslip.
- Approved Basic Hours: These will show as in the Overtime & Extra Hours section and will be included in the Total Hours. This will show as "Clocked hours" with an indication they are Basic hours.
- Approved Overtime Hours: Approved Overtime Hours will show in the Overtime & Extra Hours section as "Clocked Overtime" or "Requested Overtime" if overtime goes through a request process before it can be approved, and will be included in the OT Hours or OT Concession Hours. The Rate at which they are paid (100%, 150% etc) will be based on the settings provided in the employee's position history and the date of the clockings added to the payslip. If different overtime rates apply or the employee had a change in salary and therefore different hourly rates apply, you will see more than one Overtime row with the different rates and/or hourly rates.
After these steps have been completed, and the payslip is locked, these approved hours cannot be edited or deleted from the Time & Attendance Module.