If your employees punch in and out for work, you will be able to approve these clockings. Before approving clockings, you will need to ensure that your employees are correctly set up for time and attendance purposes. Click here for information.
To make use of this you will need to have the Approve Time Clocking and Approve Leave permissions. The Approve Leave permission may be required when approving clockings that have a missing time penalty attached to it, that will deduct leave.
How to approve
To approve clockings, you need to go to the Time & Attendance section and click on the Review & Approve tab. Clockings can be approved on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis. You may also filter by date, employee, department, job schedule and/or work location (as well as a combination of all these filters).
To approve a clocking, simply click on the Review icon near the clocking.
A window will pop up with the shift information. You can amend the clockings before approving.
But what do the contents of this window mean?
- At the top right hand corner you will see a summary of the clockings: 6 hours is the length of the shift. There is one clocking of 5 hours and 15 mins (this also includes an hour unpaid break, as can be seen in the shift breakdown - see point 2). Therefore, out of a 6 hour shift +1 hour unpaid break, the employee clocked 1 hour 45 mins less than they were supposed to. Highlighted in red, you will see the missing time. These can be booked as leave from this window. Click here for more information.
- Breakdown of the shift. This is a visual representation of the employee's published shift.
- Breakdown of the clockings. This is a visual representation of the employee's clocked time.
- Breakdown of what is being approved. Here you will see how many hours are being approved as basic hours, as overtime, and how long the unpaid break is. In the case where clockings spill beyond midnight (and to another day), you will see the breakdown of each affected day.
Click approve and close to finalise this approval.
After approving hours, the status will change from pending to approved. You may revert the clockings by clicking on the three dots and clicking on undo approval.
To view approved clockings, click on the three dots near the clocking and click on view approved shift.
How can I bulk approve?
However, approving shifts one by one can be a lengthy process. To approve in bulk, simply click on the tick box to select all the clockings. Then click on the button Bulk actions and click on Bulk approve:
Clicking on it will allow you to approve numerous clockings easily:
Bulk approvals with exceptions
When approving in bulk, each clocking has its own specific settings. Click on the three dots near the relevant clocking to do one of the following actions:
- Reset to default: if the approved basic/overtime hours/minutes are adjusted, this button will return them to default.
- Request leave: if there are any missing hours/minutes, these can be requested as leave.
- Manage clockings: this button allows you to amend the clocked in/out times.
- Remove from bulk approval: this excludes the clocking from the bulk approval.
- Clocks out for break: if the employee punched in/out for break, you can tick this option.
You can also change the cost centre and rounding set up for each clocking.
The above also exist for all bulk approved clockings. From the bulk approve dialog, click on Bulk Actions. Here, you can reset all clockings to default, mark all hours as basic, mark all hours as overtime, request leave for missing hours, set 'clocks out for break' for all, and set different rounding for all:
What are approval blocks?
Approval blocks appear when you try to approve a clocking which does not have a shift assigned to it. You will see a No Matching Shift message:
Clicking on the Review will allow you to create an approval block and approve the clockings anyway. For more information on approval blocks, click here.