Through the introduction of the Performance Management Module, users can create and assign performance reviews for managers, colleagues, and themselves to undertake. This article explains what Objectives are in relation to the Performance Management Module.
The permissions related to Objectives are:
- Manage Performance Objectives - Allows the user to manage the performance objectives and assign to employees, units or the entire company.
- View Performance Objectives - Allows the user to view the performance objectives.
NOTE: Both of these permissions can only be set on a Global Level
What is an Objective?
Objectives are a target that has been set that can be used as a standalone assessment for employees/departments or be used in conjunction with Performance Reviews. These Objectives can also be referred to as Performance Targets, KPIs or Goals; the same outcome is to be achieved where a measurement of performance is improved in a certain area.
Objectives are created in the Objectives tab in the Performance Management Module.
To create one, click on Add an objective:
Here you will need to give the objective a name. Optionally, you may also add a description.
- Individual - If the objective is to be targeted to a specific user(s), then their name(s) needs to be selected under the Assignee field.
- Department - If the objective is to be assigned to a department, then you will need to select the relevant department.
- NOTE: This is an Objective that is assigned to the Department as a whole and not all employees in that Department. To assign it to all employees within a Department, you will need to assign them in the Individual field.
- Company - choosing this would assign the objective to the company.
- NOTE: This is an Objective that is assigned to the Company as a whole and not all employees in the Company. To assign it to all employees within a Company, you will need to assign them in the Individual field.
You may also optionally place the objective underneath a parent objective (if the objective you are creating is a sub-objective).
- Place this objective in archives - choosing this option will mark the objective as one which is not currently being used for review purposes.
- Mark this objective as completed - choosing this will close off the objective due to its completion.
- Linked objectives - other existing objectives can be linked to the objective you are creating. This is done using the Parent Objective field either in this Objective or the other linked objective.
- Measurable - here you can choose whether the objective is to be assessed as a numerical value or simply by selecting 'yes' or 'no'.
Once you are done, click save objective.
Objectives can be amended or deleted using the appropriate buttons next to the objective.
Next, check out the Review Criteria tab.
More information on the Performance Management Module can be seen in our Webinar on the module.