To make use of this you will need to have the Manage T&A settings permission. This needs to be set on global.
How to set up
To set up the shift templates:
- Go to the Time & Attendance section
- Click on Shift Templates tab
- Click Add shift templates
- Fill out the details
- Click Save.
A shift template should be set up for each unique pattern within the organisation. You can create as many as are necessary. The shift template has four different sections.
- Business Unit - If you have more than one business unit set up on your account, you will need to link the shift template to the business unit applicable.
- Shift label - This is the name of the shift template. For example: Day, Night.
- Work location - A shift template is linked to a work location which will then match to the location from which employees punch in. Work locations will need to be set up from the Schedule section first.
- Cost Centre - A cost centre chosen on the shift template will allocate hours linked to this shift, when a schedule is generated, to the relevant cost centre, when these hours are passed on to payroll.
- Colour - This colour is used to differentiate between the shifts within the monthly view of all the schedules generated.
- Standby - Standby shift is a type of shift which can be added as a standalone shift or together with another shift on the day.
- Flex time - Flextime shifts will not require employees to clock in and out at specific times, but simply to work the shift duration selected.
- Starts on/ends on - The duration/time in and time out, per shift template are determined here. Clicking on the icon at the end of the section determines whether it is a night shift or a day shift.
- Unpaid break - The unpaid break is over and above the hours of the shift.
Overtime & rounding
- Scheduled overtime shift - you may wish to pre-schedule overtime in a shift.
- Enforce shift start time - if the employees clock in before the shift start time (as set in the shift details), any excess time before the shift start time will be ignored and discarded automatically in the review process.
- Enforce shift end time - if the employees clock in after the shift end time (as set in the shift details), any excess time after the shift end time will be ignored and discarded automatically in the review process.
- Overtime rules
- Minimum Overtime - The amount added in this field will be the minimum amount of minutes granted to an employee for Overtime. This figure does not need to be met by the employee in their clocked hours. Example: If the minimum amount set is 15mins, and the employee clocks 5mins overtime, the employee will be granted 15mins overtime automatically in the Review & Approve process.
- Maximum Overtime - The amount added in this field will be the maximum amount of minutes granted to an employee for Overtime. This figure will be granted even if the clocked hours exceed this amount. Example: If the maximum amount set is 30mins, and the employee clocks 1hr overtime, the employee will be granted 30mins automatically in the Review & Approve process.
- Rounding of clockings - Rounding will impact lateness. If rounding is set, the employee may log in up to the identified time without this affecting their time log. Should they log in after the rounding time has elapsed, this time will be deducted from their time logged. The options for rounding are:
- No rounding (clockings will remain the same as they were logged).
- 10 minutes (for example: if an employee punches in at 7.55am, this will be rounded to 8.00am).
- 15 minutes (for example: if an employee punches in at 7.49am, this will be rounded to 8.00am).
- 20 minutes (clockings will be rounded to the nearest 20 minutes).
- 30 minutes (clockings will be rounded to the nearest 30 minutes).
- 60 minutes (clockings will be rounded to the nearest hour).
- Lateness - Enabling lateness will allow a grace period for employees to clock in. For example: shift starts at 8:00. Lateness enabled at 5mins. This means employees can clock in up to 8:05 without being penalized.
- Lateness Penalty - If Lateness is enabled, you may also add a Lateness Penalty for all those who clock in later than the specified time.
- Shift Allowances - A specific shift allowance can be added to a shift template. These need to be set up first and then selected on shift templates.