Before adding employees to Talexio, you may wish to set up benefits which can then be assigned to your employees. Before doing so, it is recommended that you have your company's organisation structure, position titles, and job schedules already set up.
Benefits are adjustments that are given periodically as part of an employee's compensation package (for example, mobile allowance, travel allowance), or as ad-hoc adjustments to a particular payroll (for example, performance Bonus). These can be taxable or non-taxable.
In order to add new, or manage existing Benefits, you will need the Manage Benefits permission. If you want to add Benefits to an employee's position, you will need the Manage employment position history permission, as well as either the View all employee data or Manage all employee data permissions.
Adding Benefits and Allowances
You may view your company's Benefits in the Settings section under the tab Benefits. By default, you will find a number of preset benefits, such as Use of Car allowance and Car Cash allowance.
To add new benefits, click on +Add New Benefit.
Here, you will need to input the following:
- Benefit Name: this is the name of the benefit (such as mobile allowance) that will show in the employees’ payslip
- Code: this is just a shortened version of the name, for example MOBALL
- Category: Fringe Benefits are to be classified as CAT1-3. Any other allowance falls under OTHER. You may also select share options.
- Add to Gross: selecting this will add the benefit to the employee's gross pay in the payslip (as a separate item). Please note that this is only applicable to CAT2 and 3. This button needs to be on for the other categories.
- Pre-tax/post-tax: selecting pre-tax means that the benefit is taxable. Selecting post-tax means that the benefit is not subject to tax and is thus a net amount.
- Pro rata: selecting this option means that the benefit will be calculated pro rata. For example, in cases where an employee earning such benefit has unpaid leave, the benefit will be calculated pro rata with the unpaid leave considered.
- Enable this benefit for Allowance Requests: for more information on this, check out this article.
Click Create. You have now created a benefit. This can be assigned to employees when adding them to Talexio. For a step-by-step guide on how to create employees, click here.
Changes done to existing benefits will be applied to employees to whom such benefits are already assigned, but the changes will not affect/change any existing locked payrolls.
CAT 1 Tax Capping
The CAT 1 allowance is 50% taxable. However, this is capped at €1,170 per year. Therefore, an employee may be entitled to a CAT1 allowance of €2,340, half of which is non-taxable.
This is done automatically by Talexio when the CAT1 allowance is added to the employee's position history. Therefore, if you had to input an amount in excess of €2,340 to the employee's position, €1,170 of this portion would be tax free. Anything else would be fully taxable.
For example, an employee has €2,500 Car Cash Allowance in their position.
Each month, the employee will be paid €208.33. 50% of this will be taxable (€104.17 taxable, and €104.17 tax free). This will continue each month until a total of €1,170 non-taxable is reached. From then on, anything else will be automatically taxable.
However, it is important to note that this automatic capping does not happen if you had to manually add CAT1 Car Cash Allowance to an individual payslip (rather than through the position).
For example, the employee does not have any allowances in their position, but in January, the Payroll Admin adds an ad-hoc adjustment of €250 euro. Half of this will be non-taxable (€125). However, if the Payroll Admin continues to add this amount to each payslip, the system will keep it at 50% taxable for each payslip, as the capping only occurs when the annual amount is added to the position.