Leave types are the specific settings and permissions relating to the different types of leave applicable to your company (such as Vacation, sick, parental, study leave, injury leave, etc..).
By default, a number of leave types are already set up. These are:
- Vacation Leave
- Sick Leave
- Maternity Leave
- Injury Leave
Leave entitlements are also automatically set up for these leave types. These are also updated each year from Talexio's end unless you choose to manually amend them.
- Leave Types
- Additional Functionality
- More Options
- How do I add a new Leave Type?
- Show balance in days
- Related Articles
To set up and manage leave types, you will need the Manage Leave Types permission. Click here for more information on this permission.
To access this, you will need to go to the Leave section and click on Leave Types:
This tab includes a lot of information, but do not worry. We will explain each one in detail below:
- Colour: You can set a default colour for Leave types so that they are clearly distinguishable in the Leave Calendar.
- Show Balance to Employee: The balance of this leave type will show in all employees’ Leave Breakdown on their profile.
- Include in Payslip Calculations: Any leave booked will show as split between Basic hours and leave hours.
- Show Balance in Payslip: The balance of this leave type will show in all employees’ payslip if you have the Payroll Module enabled.
- Allow users to request: The balance of this leave type will show in the drop-down of leave types when they are booking leave. This is dependent on the employees having the Request Leave permission.
- Pro-rata: The balance of this leave type will be given pro-rata based on hours worked. By default, vacation and sick leave should be enabled pro-rata.
- Accumulates: click here for details on this button.
- Accrued leave: Enabling this option will restrict users to booking only the accrued leave balance. This refers to the leave that an employee has accumulated up to the end of the current period. Click here for more details.
- Accumulated only: click here for details on this button.
Each leave type includes a More menu item. Clicking on it will give you the below functions:
- Manage permissions: This allows you to manage which employees can request and/or approve, by leave type. Click here for more information on this.
- Manage restrictions: This allows you to manage which leave types show by:
- Business Unit
- Country of position history - based on the countries selected here, the relevant leave types will show only for when the employee whose country of employment is the same as the country selected in the restrictions here.
- Job schedule - Leave types can be restricted by Job Schedule. Employees with the Job Schedules selected will be able to see the leave type in their profile.
Click here for more information on restrictions.
- Manage Carry Forward: If the leave balance is to carry forward to the following year, you can set a maximum number of hours that are allowed to be carried forward. Read more about the Carry Forward wizard
- Manage leave tags: For information on leave tags, click here.
- More options: read on for more information.
- Delete: this deletes the leave type. Please note that you cannot delete a leave type which has leave already booked. To do so, you will need to manually.
By clicking on more options, you will be presented with the below popup:
- Employees can request to cancel leave: this allows employees with basic request leave permissions to cancel their leave (subject to approval).
- Carries Forward: Any pending balance of this leave type will be carried forward at the end of the year.
- Allow Half-Pay: Enabling this will allow users to book half pay leave balance. If this is enabled, you will need to also set a Leave Entitlement.
- Allow Unpaid: Enabling this will allow users to keep booking leave when they've used up all their leave balance. Any additional leave booked over and above their balance will be automatically set to Unpaid (and therefore will not be remunerated for it).
- Allow back-dated requests: Allows users to restrict the booking or cancellation of past leave only to employees who have ‘Approve Leave’ permission.
How do I create a new Leave Type?
To add a new leave type:
- Go to Leave section
- Click on Leave Types tab from the top menu bar
- Click on Add Leave Type icon at the right-hand side
- Fill in the Leave Type
- Click on save:
In the Leave Types page, you are able to view all leave types and edit each one accordingly.
Now that you have set up your leave types, you will need to set the Leave entitlement.
Show Balance in days
One other thing you may do is to display the leave in days. By default, leave balances on Talexio are displayed in hours:
But if you switch on the show balance in days switch in Leave Types, then the leave will show in days. Please note that 1 day of leave is equivalent to 1 working day according to the employee's position. For example: 1 day of an employee who works 40 hours 5 days a week = 8 hours. 1 day of an employee who works 20 hours 4 days a week = 5 hours.
You can also watch our webinar here about the Leave Module for further information